Monday, September 13, 2010

Harvest Updates

Some pictures to share. Frances took some lovely shots this past download. Thought I should share them with you. I can't write much as we are taking Nikita and Joe to the Brook Village Dance, the last one of the year.


The summer squash and cucumbers have been very prolific this year. Perhaps I'm leaning a thing or two about growing them.


So much so that Joe and I made dill pickles in a brine so they are naturally fermented. They taste pretty amazing. I made up another 4 gallon crock about a week ago and I guess I can do another pretty soon.

We've also been dehydrating a lot of zucchini and summer squash for the long winter to come.

The strawberries that we planted last year have been giving en mass. Each week we sell out at the markets. They are not everbearing as much as I remember (hard to keep track of everything). But they had one big production in July and now are giving again. Must have been a pretty great summer for strawbs.


Sarah came out to visit from Hamilton and was a great help with her cycling partner Patrick. They biked all over Nova Scotia, ultimately ending up at Wild Roots with us.


So naturally we've been eating pretty well with lots of fresh veggies and fruit. This must be the best I've eaten my whole life.

1 comment:

  1. lovely. i forget that it's fall in north america. japan is still in the 80's and 90's. tomoko and i had a little harvest of our own. visit my blog...

    ReplyDelete