Monday, November 8, 2010

Shopaholic

So I'm in the city. Fortunately for me, I've managed to find a job and I'm feeling pretty blessed right now. I'm starting tomorrow and looking forward to earning a little before going back to the farm. I guess I'm really a farmer now that I travel to earn real money. I'm just lucky for a degree which makes getting a job a little easier. Not all farmers (and others besides) are so lucky or privileged.

But since I've been in the city I've noticed a few things. Once Dan and I came to the city and shortly after we arrived our stomachs were both grumbling and upset. Dan figured that it might be the crazy energy of the city, all those people, few other animals, cell phone towers, wireless routers. It was something to experience. I suppose that we could have eaten something funny but that's doubtful.

So what have I noticed since being here. For one, my stomach has been really bloated. I am cutting wheat out of my diet. Perhaps my colon is crying out for wheat in vain. But I'm just bloated and haven't figured out what's causing it since I mostly always eat beans and rice, and I'm trying to eat fruit in between. It's quite a journey to understand your digestive system without just taking a pill.

More importantly and shockingly for me, I find myself looking through junk mail and other ads, looking for deals for home. I want to get my mother a printer since I've wrecked the last two freecycle finds and I'm sick and tired of dodgy used printers. I found a really good deal on a new model but it still vexes me that I'm such a shopper, especially of this new thing.

Now that we have internet at home I waste hours looking for (albeit useful) stuff for our home. Sewing machines that could handle a lot. Crocks for fermenting. External DVD players for my base-model laptop. At least I'm not after a cell phone. Perhaps I should chill out and maybe buying a few things that would actually be useful is not the end of the world. Still I don't want to be a shopaholic!

1 comment:

  1. I might be able to sell you my sewing machine. I haven't used it for a year. I figure that's enough time to say- I don't really need it. how much are you looking to pay? Its a husqvarna and been used 12 times. Not that I want to encourage you to spend money. But, yeah- this is one of those things where I almost feel like i'm ripping myself off, selling it at all. Since its really quite a good sewing machine. But I've been starting to want to live more simply. And having things around that aren't used. It doesn't help. Well, think about it if your interested.

    ReplyDelete