Saturday, November 26, 2011

November News

So we are working on a greenhouse. We actually bought it last year but I was terribly intimidated so I thought to hire someone to put it up. No luck (Incidentally this is the funny thing about this region. People say there are no jobs but here is one that I would have gladly hired someone to do for me. Similarly we need an electrician to rewire our whole house--scary I know--but I guess they are all in the tar sands because even our 'local' friends can't find electricians).

So in the end I have to get over my worry about such a big project. We started in early November by hiring someone to level the ground and bring some gravel. Then we moved on to digging the foundation and putting down the tamarack 6x6s. Happily we had some really helpful and dedicated wwoofers in Hanna and Laurenz.


Then we put up the metal frame of the greenhouse. It actually only took one day! We had four of us working on that project. We actually realized that as much as we all complain about how there are 10 workmen but only one is working, some of the time that's just the way it is. We sometimes all stood around watching one person tightening a nut and bolt.

In the end, the greenhouse should look something like this. This is our friend Deb's who has the same kit as us. Go plastic!


But in between we have had snow and lots of it. Perhaps 20cm?



And for no reason here is Jane's cat Dulcie with our winter squash supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment