Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Buffet is Open

As part of the "processing" of the seals, Dan has been dumping bits of fat across the road by the brook. Very wisely, for Buddy's sake, he took it reasonably far away. I am really afraid of Buddy meeting a coyote and meeting his untimely end. So the less tasty treats around outside the front door the better.

So for the past week, we've been visited by various visitors looking for a free lunch. No I'm not talking about WWOOFers. At night I've heard what are probably coyotes paying a visit and during the day there have been murders of crows everywhere cruising above our house.

But most magically, for a guy from industrial Ontario, there have been bald eagles. I remember being in Edmonton this summer and going to Jasper National Park and hoping to see a bald eagle. I saw one but it was a kilometre away. I would have never thought that in Cape Breton bald eagles would be as common as, well, crows. Seriously, if we go to Mabou, it's normal to see a bald eagle fly over our car. And most amazingly, when the buffet table was opened last week, a bald eagle was perched in the tree outside our front door. I'm sorry, I didn't get a picture. I almost did. Shit I wish you could have seen it.

Big birds. Now I have another Buddy predator to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment