Thursday, May 7, 2009

Greenhouse!


So I finally got around to taking some pictures of the new greenhouse after finally getting around to finishing the greenhouse in the first place. This project is definitely one of the cards in my deck. I feel quite proud of it actually. It's completely solid (though the howling wind is blowing outside and I'm scared of hearing it plough into the house).


I built the greenhouse with my mum if you can believe it. Dan helped a bit but mostly left me to it which was nice. I think I've assumed the mantle of carpenter around these parts. Mum is the bread maker and Dan does the hides and seals.

I have to admit that all along I had a rough plan and then found myself constantly adjusting it to meet new challenges.
But in the end it's a pretty greenhouse that works great. It's already been 35 degrees inside on a sunny day and hopefully we might even have some cozy days in the greenhouse in winter on similarly sunny days.


What else to note? We're going to do a pretty small garden in the end which will be manageable and feed us but allow us to sell a bit at the market. Dan and I have been digging raised beds and we're soon to have some help in that department with a few wwoofers on the way. Raised beds will be great. More permaculture features for our place out here.


And in good news, we have some beets, radish, peas and spinach popping up in the garden and just planted a lot of onions out from seed. You'd think that they wouldn't be able to take it, they look so fragile. Onions are a necessity and one that we don't want to pay for anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work on the greenhouse man. Looks great. I hope to build one myself eventually and will definitely call you for advice.

    ReplyDelete