Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fuck Facebook


Most people really like this stencil, despite the fact that they are Facebook drones (Facebookers?). Facebook, I think, is kind of like a 9-5 job, something you do due to a lack of options and hate every second of. But I guess it keeps you in touch with people, that's what most people tell me in response to this patch. But what kind of relationship do you have with a person with you read about their life on their digital wall?

I had an interesting thought about Facebook the other night. Talking with a friend about the commodification of the world I wondered where it would end. I guess ultimately the plan is for everything to have a price tag, or be associated with tiny pieces of paper or numbers on a computer. Good luck when air is commodified (though I don't think the morons that run the world will figure that one out before natural controls kick in).

So really, human relationships should have an economic dimension too. These social networking sites like Facebook basically celebrate and encourage the collection of "friends" like baseball cards. You don't actually have relationships with people of course, that doesn't matter; quantity over quality is the motto of the modern world.

Remember that kid who beat you up in primary school? Is he now on your facebook list? Fuck him and Fuck Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment