Friday, September 18, 2009

Technology


I think that this is the best stencil that I have ever made. It is the most thoughtful and complex, yet simple. It's definitely a bit risky in Catholic Cape Breton but I would recommend it for anyone who knows what modern, industrial, civilized humans actually believe in. And I got a hint for ya, it ain't some dead guy hanging on a cross.

It makes me think of a book I just finished, Climate Wars by Gwynne Dyer. I had the pleasure of hearing Dyer speak at McMaster University when this book came out. He's just the right level of cynicism for me I think (he mostly knows we're doomed since the project before us is so daunting). He talked about things I had never heard of in relation to climate change and got me thinking more deeply than I had before. Unfortunately it did not inspire me with confidence in our chances. And his book unfortunately has proved to be a techno-fix masturbation about how humans can fix the climate. He even suggests (a bit tongue in cheek thankfully) that humans take over from the earth in managing the climate system. Ha ha, what a fucking joke.

But technology is on parade in Climate Wars. Space mirrors, shooting sulfur into the stratosphere with guns, making clouds from automated ships in the equatorial regions, growing meat in petri dishes. It's a perfect world, nothing to stop our beloved economy. And just makes me think more and more of the appropriateness of this stencil.


You've heard of the holy trinity I expect: Father, Son and Holy Ghost (who is the holy ghost anyway?). How about a new one: Civilization, Technology and Economy. Get down on your knees boys and girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment