Monday, January 18, 2010

FarmVille

So apparently a popular game on Facebook is called FarmVille. It's a game where you buy a farm and then take care of it, planting crops, watering them, harvesting, taking things to market, milking cows, butchering animals (presumably). I have no experience with this game apart from this "article" which felt more like it was selling stocks in the company that developed it.

It's interesting that this game is so popular. Maybe it reflects the feeling that most of us have that our lives are so disconnected from anything real that we're getting sick (literally). How does it make sense that I sit in front of a screen for 8 hours a day and get tiny pieces of paper that I can give to a store and get food. I think we all know that this is a weird system and likely not long for this world. Maybe people will use this as a start to growing their own food. Though this game requires no hardwork or exercise so it's sure to come in above the original.

The funny thing about the game is that I'm sure Monsanto has caught wind of it and I bet that Roundup and Roundup Ready crops are available for purchase through the game. I wonder if the "farmers" know they are growing genetically modified corn?

No comments:

Post a Comment