Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Miso Making


So I had a go making miso tonight. It's actually quite a simple process. Cook beans, mash them, add a brine with a little live miso mixed in and something called koji. I'm still not sure if I got the koji process right. Basically koji is rice infused with a beneficial fungus. I just threw it in because my recipe didn't call for me to do anything else. Though I have this feeling that I should have mixed it with some warm cooked, fresh rice.

But if it doesn't work out then I won't sweat it. Though I'm going to have to wait a year to try this miso. Yup, that's how long it takes to mature, maybe even longer. It's in the cool basement starting its long journey right now.

1 comment:

  1. that's commitment! will you remember? maybe i'll be able to visit and taste it when it's ready.

    ReplyDelete