Friday, June 17, 2011

Smash

In the city today. Waiting for Jane to come and get me. It's garbage day and I found a bunch of windows and seriously thick glass just down the road. I thought when she came back I could go and get them. I would need a car to move them. I'm a little sad to say that the garbage truck has just arrived. I could run out and get the glass but really there is so much glass thrown away every day in this city I'm sure. So I'm just going to sit here and type this instead.

There is so much useful 'waste' thrown away every single day here. I can't even imagine it. We could be building houses, greenhouses, amazing trellis systems. We could be increasing food production in cities. We could be building passive solar buildings (admittedly, probably not up to the building code but at this stage it probably goes too far). We could be doing so much.


But we are smashing the glass instead. We are smashing it and moving it out of the city to be buried. How much embodied energy is being lost? One day we are going to be begging for these resources. We're going to be digging in dumps and unearthing these amazing treasures building a new world with the magic of the old.

The glass is about to smash as it's tossed in the back of the truck. So long.

No comments:

Post a Comment