Sunday, June 5, 2011

Garden Update

I've certainly been neglecting the old blog. Update from the summer so far: the gardens are so fertile it's crazy. A friend and wwoofer Zsolt put up a fertility rune in the garden and the dandelions and grass have certainly noticed. They are monstrous. But it seems that the effect is more widely felt and the grapes and currants and gooseberries we planted this spring have gotten the message. I'm feeling a bit daunted by the idea of growing grapes but we'll give it a shot. It would be pretty special to make a few bottles of wine out of our own grapes, perhaps with some currants thrown in for good measure.

The potatoes are all in the ground at the usual time at the end of May. I just planted some sweet corn, hoping for the best. Last year I planted corn in July but didn't make a harvest. It was close but no cigar. All the seedlings (tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, chard) are looking good and I've been potting them into bigger pots instead of planting them out early, when they are very small. I did so last year and I think I should have waited. It's nice to be able to experiment from year to year. In the ground are snow and snap peas, beets, parsnips, carrots, salad mix and garlic.

We have had lots of wonderful wwoofers through this year. Thank you to Will, Maiko, Zsolt, Susana, Emily, Marie-Eve, Patrick, Ashley and Markus! We wouldn't be so fertile without you!

1 comment:

  1. check this out:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-13017897

    ReplyDelete