Saturday, February 25, 2012

Celebrating Supper


Love this supper. I actually promised that we'd have something special for a Saturday night and managed to deliver. Mostly I love that a lot of what we ate we actually grew ourselves. Here's a tally.

Beet salad: our beets, our garlic, our dill (plus local organic apple cider vinegar, sunflower oil from who knows where, salt from France, sumac from the Middle East)--incidentally this is a great recipe from my friend Dan.

Squash: our red kuri squash, our garlic (plus local onions, sunflower oil, salt from France and spices)

Curried lentils: our cabbage--the last one (lots of not local things)

Rice: enough said

Kraut salad: our turnip and radish kraut with regular sauerkraut (sprouted fenugreek seeds--I'm going to try and grow fenugreek this summer though I imagine it needs a lot of heat)

And our pickled beans as well.


Then I also made a dessert crumble with our rhubarb and wild blueberries we picked at a friend's farm. Most of the rest of the ingredients are local. It was a pretty yummy crumble top as my mum would call it.

Pretty nice meal all in all. Makes me wonder what the future holds. I have to get into growing dry beans and some grains like buckwheat and oats clearly. I can't imagine living without cooking oil. I suppose there's always animal fat but then you have to take care of these needy animals. Might as well do without. But salt, there's an essential ingredient. I'm sure there are some salty wild edible plants out there. Still food wouldn't be the same without salt, precious salt.

Onwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment