Friday, June 1, 2012

A few days ago the temperature dropped below zero and there was a super heavy frost.  I figured I had nothing to worry about since frost happens around this time of year.  I just moved the figs inside and covered them with buckets.  That was it.  Then I went to sleep.  When I woke up, I didn't even have a look around to see how everything coped.  Selling your labour keeps you busy and keeps you from noticing things.  Maybe it's designed that way.  Anyway just yesterday I worked in the garden and walking back I noticed that all the leaves on all the nut trees were black and shriveled.  Ditto the grapes.  Thankfully on closer inspection I noticed that the hazelnut trees could take such a frost.  But we planted close to 75 or so nut trees around the place.  I just checked a few but they are gone.  I'm hoping that the tree might have some kind of backup plan but I know it's hopeless.  I might take some pictures to share but it's a sad scene.

A few weeks ago I read something about southern Ontario and how the warm spring and then sudden (more seasonal) cold had ruined the apple and pear harvest there.  Actually 80% of the apple harvest is lost.  All the trees were fooled, leafed out and bloomed and then the blossoms were killed when the cold returned.  I must admit I was a little smug feeling that this couldn't happen here.  But it was 30 degrees last week.  And it happened here as well.  

We're all in this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment