Tuesday, July 14, 2009

No Computer: Evolve

Well the inevitable finally happened and my laptop is dead. We've had some good times but nothing lasts forever. I paid $400 used for it almost 5 years ago so I've definitely gotten my money's worth. It's just too bad that this high technology is not something that we can fix ourselves. I think this will be the last computer I personally own; we have one for our house which works great, and keeps us from living online lives as opposed to real lives. I just hope I can get my pictures off the hard drive someday. Let this be a lesson to backup your computer regularly.

We are going to the Evolve Music Festival in Antigonish this weekend. Andrew is coming out from Ontario and we're going to check out the hilarious Jon LaJoie. I guess there are other performers too but I don't know any of their music. I'm going to be selling my t-shirts and patches. Dan will sell his buckskin products.

I'm doing something new this time and I'm going to have customers pick out a shirt and I'll put the stencil they want on it right there and then. That way they can pick a shirt that fits well instead of me just putting random messages on shirts. I hope it works out. I just don't want a lot of pressure to put stencils on quick because I'm sure to make a mistake. I don't expect brisk business but maybe this crowd will be into messages like: "Fuck Don't Breed" and "First World No World".


With the stencils I'm really trying to avoid moving away from strong messages. There's a temptation to make silly, meaningless messages which will sell well to a gutless public. I'm making more pictures but I'm trying to pick images that have a strong meaning. It's nice to see what you can create. And we found a number of overhead plastic sheets which make for nice stencils. It's hard to find cardstock around these parts.

I'm going to take some pictures of people modeling my shirts this weekend so I can add them here and you can see what I'm into these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment