Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thank You!

My wonderful friends Erin and Matt have left for Ontario having spent a lovely week with us. They helped out with the garden, made us a sign for the road and put together a scarecrow (oh wait, you already knew that dear reader). We went to the beach and splashed in the shallow waves, Erin was more adventurous. There were lovely meals together and lots of happiness, just being together.

I almost shed a few tears at their parting. A real, heartfelt embrace can do that. Maybe my hard shell is a little softer in my old age. I kind of like letting my emotions show, there's nothing wrong with that.

Yesterday we went to the Cape Breton Highlands National Park and it was pretty amazing to hike on top of a mountain with a sheer drop to the ocean below. And we hiked through an old growth forest (never been logged, unlike everywhere else in the Maritimes). I wish I could attach a picture or two but I didn't have my camera. Maybe Erin will send hers my way one day soon and I'll share.

It was as close to a perfect day as I've had in a long time. I felt a bit like a tourist, which wasn't so bad. I guess as I am still learning about this place, I am still a tourist. And maybe that was a vacation that I needed. Though I could have done without all the genetically modified food I ate that day. With Dan I always bring my food, which is always a good move with this dismal food supply.


I miss you already Erin and Matt. Happy trails!

--

I read an interesting article by George Monbiot on the Guardian today and thought I would share. He exposes all those annoying and stupid people that leave comments online. You know how articles allow readers to comment? These are the people that attack the writer and not the issue and when they do they don't actually say anything meaningful or appeal to scienticians and the like. Well some of the people that are commenting are potentially in the pay of someone. It makes complete sense and is actually a well-studied technique called Astroturfing. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment