Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why?

It's a good question that we never ask. Why do we do all the things we do? I can understand growing food, building houses, making clothes. Those address real, straightforward, physical concerns. Any other species would do the same in our place.

But then you hear about experiments like the Hadron Collider, a $6.6 billion facility on the border between France and Switzerland, and, for me, all I can ask is why? Why do we need to recreate the conditions present at the start of the universe? Wouldn't you rather be playing with your children instead? Or maybe planting a tree? What about inviting a few friends over for a get-together? What about just enjoying the warm spring sun on your face?

Now of course I know the answer: Science! So our little species can know everything about everything. But again, what's the point? In knowing everything what will we do with that knowledge. Why do we need to know everything?

I don't need to know everything. I'm happy with a degree of magic in the world. I'm happy that things just happen.


The other goal of this project, I'm sure given our track record, is to militarize the results of this experiment. So instead of merely nuking Tehran we can create a black hole there and suck all those terrorists out of existence. If we happen to rip the earth in two during the process then you'll thank your lucky stars that we invested in the planet glue experiment.

The ultimate, unquestionable make work projects. Maybe that's what science is all about!

2 comments:

  1. CERN is what it's commonly referred to by Geneva folk. I used to drive by it every once in a while, and I met a few people who worked on it. I'm glad that they actually succeeded in testing it after such a long delay and many, many paranoid comments about the possibility of opening a black hole, depending on whether or not you believe Stephen Hawking apparently...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My own opinion on the matter has led me to see of the religion of science. There is a certain belief in the process. Even though testing makes something seem quite true. Nobody knows what will happen when a new science project is started. And whether or not we are better off, more content, psychologically prepared for life if we understand many of the complicated interactions something has under a microscope.

    The only reason science seems to be so effective is because our society values economics above all, however this is missing the point. Metaphorically speaking: When someone falls ill, this allows us to care for the other. Experiencing "low" periods is very life affirming.

    I'm not saying life would be better without it, I just don't like the dominance it holds. I guess its like many things, science has moved away from its more curious state to becoming about politics and progress.
    .

    How can science possibly solve moral dilemmas?
    = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj9oB4zpHww

    ReplyDelete