Saturday, April 25, 2009

Spring Salad

So one thing that kind of strikes people about my diet these days is that there are very few fresh greens on the menu. No salads in February though we did make some out of shredded carrots and sprouted seeds. And I guess if you sprouted something long enough you'd get some greens. But still I don't have many greens in my diet.

And amazingly, perhaps, I'm feeling really good. I guess I do eat sauerkraut every single day, which trust me, never gets boring (well maybe it would if there was a grocery store nearby). Kraut I think provides a lot of what I need and is something that can be prepared in the fall and last all the way to summer and the glut of fresh greens that awaits me then.

But for now I wanted to share our newest salad ingredient. Everywhere around our place, dandelions are growing. And the greens are nice and tender and young, just right for eating. So mum and I gathered a whole bunch yesterday and made this yummy looking (and tasting salad).


So I encourage you to wander around your garden and find some fresh dandelion leaves to make a salad with. Why go to the store and pay for something that you can get for free? And there are endless salad options available. I'm so happy to learn about all the "weeds" that I can eat.

2 comments:

  1. bill mollinson says a weed is just a plant you haven't found a use for yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it the prickly ones aren't so tasty.

    ReplyDelete